Thursday 19 November 2009

Another letter

To the members of the Bryn Euryn MAG
Re Bryn Euryn Nature Reserve.
I would like to outline my opposition to any introduction of livestock on Bryn Euryn. Aside from all the arguments about the various practical problems not redressed in the feasibility study, I would like to air my very personal reasons why I was horrified when I first heard what was proposed.
From a young child, I was taken for walks to Pwllycrochan Woods, Flagstaff Gardens (now the Zoo) and Bryn Euryn. They helped develop my love of nature and I found they brought peace and wonder into my life. The freedom to explore and observe my surroundings, from the heady smell of bluebells, the majesty of the woodland, to the feeling of being on top of the world from the summit of the Bryn. The years passed, the world changed around me but the Bryn remained a constant. It has been my sanctuary in times of stress. I’ve carried my unborn children there, taken my young children for picnics to explore their natural surrounding and look at the beautiful area they are lucky to live in. As they grew they went up with friends and school to play and discover its wonders for themselves, something which is becoming increasingly rare these days. Where else can you let your children roam without fearing for their safety from traffic or livestock? Now my children are grown and the cycle is starting over again with their children visiting and enjoying this same freedom.
Before the grazing issue was proposed I used to see the remnants of old fences and gates and feel so grateful that the area is now open to all. It felt like a slap in the face to be told of the plans to erect fencing and introduce grazing as if it had nothing to do with the people who love and use the area daily. How dare they tell us they want to use us as ‘lookers’ and they will ‘train’ our dogs? We don’t want grazing so why do they think we will lift a finger to help. Why risk throwing away all the good will we have shown over the years. People are only too willing to help preserve such an outstanding amenity, but not to see it covered in wire fences, angle iron and gates. Much is said about the lack of community spirit these days, but it’s alive and well on Bryn Euryn. Don’t drive us all away and destroy something so valuable.

No comments:

Post a Comment